Thursday, October 19, 2006

Remembering Trichy - Yen Sontha ooru - Vadivelkarai!!

Remembering Trichy - Yen Sontha ooru - Vadivelkarai!!

Though I was born in Trichy, the place my father was born and the place where my
grandfather lived was Vadivelkarai, a small village just near Nagamalai Pudukkottai, like less than 10 Kms away from Central Trichy.

Just for reference sake, a nearby village is called Keezhakkuyilkudi.
Just in between these two villages - there is a temple called Karuppana saamy temple. This temple is surrounded by a lotus pond and a small mountain/hill.
The hill is called Samanar Malai(Samanar's hill). I have noticed steps carved for the visitors to climb up the mountain. When you go really up, you can see statues carved out of the mountains for the buddha and mahavira's. Looks like many saints and artists do their work or meditation in this mountain. In the back of the mountain you can see an archaelogically safeguarded cave kind of a thing, in which you can rest in peace.

The pond which has lotus flowers looks beautiful. You can find people taking bath in four entries to the pond. It is even said that there is a crocodile inside this pond. Well, I have not seen one, but I have seen lots of fishes. In winter, we can see lot of water. In summer, the water gets reduced.

I used to visit this village very often, from my school days. I always loved this place, because it is a village and life is very simple. I have felt the difference even in those days - about city and village. A complex to simple life - just with Trichy and Vadivelkarai!! I have felt more happiness in a village, rather than Trichy city.

My grandfather passed away, but he is still lived by his wife - my grandmother. We still have a small house in the village.

If you are a visitor or tourist of Trichy, if you get a chance, please visit this place - If you are in Trichy - you can go to this village from any busstand. There is a direct bus from Trichy Periyar Central Busstand, but you have to take two buses from other busstands.

1 comment:

  1. my grandpa expired long time back but my grandma died last year.

    ReplyDelete