Friday, April 3, 2009

Rediscovering Trichy - Part I

Rediscovering Trichy

I was using web 2.0 tools like Google Map and finding out what I know about Trichy.
I realized that I know nothing. There is lot to know about India and Trichy.

India has similar highways with numbers, as I am seeing in other countries. How dumb I have been, without knowing the real routes in India.

For the sake of the article, let us just concentrate on Trichy and around.

Trichy is built around Trichy Meenakshi Sundareswarar temple.
I happenned to identify national and state highways running in all directions. Let me explain that...

National Highways will be mentioned as NH and State Highways as SH - henceforth.

(1) NH 45B runs from Chennai to Tuticorin and touches the eastern side of Trichy.
(2) NH 7 runs from Kalyakumari to Varanasi via Trichy, Dindigul, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Nagpur, Varanasi. Isn't it amazing?! My house is just on NH 7:)
(3) NH 49 runs east to west - Kerala to Ramanathapuram (and Gulf of Mannar).


Apart from these, there are state highways - nothing SH 72, SH 33, SH 73 etc.,

(1) SH 72 runs from north to Trichy mid.
(2) SH 33 runs from trichy mid to east.
(3) SH 73 runs far away from Trichy, in the far western part - but north to south direction.


Awesome connection with other states in India. This is only Roadways, we will talk about Railways more later.

Trichy is surrounded by smaller cities(clockwise from south) like - Aruppukkottai, Virudhunagar, Sivakasi, Rajapalayam, Theni, Dindigul, Manapparai, Pudukkottai, Melur, Sivaganga, Manatrichy etc.,

We will talk about it more...

No comments:

Post a Comment