Sunday, October 10, 2010

Influence of TV in Trichy and other cities of Tamil Nadu

When I used to grow up, there was very minimal influence of TV and we kids used to play together, talk to each other etc., It was healthy and good for our minds.

Even if we watch TV, we used to watch some english cartoons like Tom and Jerry etc.,

These days there is lot of influence from TV and seeing that kids just learn from the TVs a lot.

Our kids have started to talk like Vadivelu, which is not funny all the time to see if your kids are talking some local(gallege in tamil) language and like a low class fellow. For example - If your child calls someone 'Vendru', 'koyyala', 'kokka makkaa'. I don't want to mention here, but it is not great to watch your kid to talk cheap language. I really want my kid to talk in tamil and I would be glad to hear that but if the slang and text goes bad, I don't want to hear that or any body for that case they don't want their kid to talk like that.

Secondly, if you are talking about pure Tamil language - Chutti TV does that. But that is going to other extreme. Our kid say - "theeyasakthi vandhuttu irukku, oru aaivukkuzhu pottu, ethiriyai konnudalaam. Yei koiyyaala". Also, there is some violence in Cartoons and local madras language or local village language are heard day in and day out by our kids.

All said and done, I have an option of changing the channel or placing a child lock or switch off the TV or sell off the TV! Well, that can be done in some cases or few times, but still sometimes it is not in our control.

Technology sometimes helps people, but sometimes it is not good and it does not take our next generation in right direction or at least I hate to see my kids to see crazy cartoons.

Why don't they just keep the cartoon programs in English if the original is Tamil? I am for Tamil all the time, but this is not the way our kids learn Tamil and they should learn "good tamil"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment