Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Game that is forgotten as Years goes by - Jallikattu.

I would like to mention about the famous dravidian game - Jallikattu. Alanganallur, a place in Trichy district is a specific place where this game is famous for. In an around trichy, that too specifically villages also sport such games, but to a small extent. Bulls from all over the tamilnadu will be participating and show their strength. Brave men from the age of 15 to 60 will be participating. Some men end up with serious damages and even lose their lives doing such acts.Also I would like to share one of my breathtaking experience in one such game. Dont think that I had indulged in the act of handling the bulls. But on that day I went just as a spectator. I, my brother who is in CA now and my friend went to witness the game. We had a nice spot to view the game of chasing and as time went on, more and more bulls were going and brave men were chasing them. As it was nearing the end of the game, we three decided to move towards our place and were trying to get way out of the crowd. What happened to our surprise is that, we got strangled in a small gap between two houses when crowd were pushing us and suddenly a bull tried to enter a crowd present over there. There was no other go and we were nearly very near to the bull and it was very fierce. Suddenly i caught hold of one of the low lying roof outside one of the house and my brother and my friend got slipped into a thorny bush. But luckily men from the crowd diverted the bull and it went in the other direction. We had a very narrow escape. phooh.
So always play safe.

1 comment:

  1. excellent writeup and good to hear your experiences.

    ReplyDelete